Census Community Heroes’ Awards - Terms and Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully.
a) The 2021 Census Community Heroes competition (the ‘Competition’) is run by the Office for National Statistics of 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ (the ‘Promoter’, ‘we’, ‘us’).
b) By applying to take part in or taking part in the Competition, you are (i) agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions (the ‘Terms and Conditions’) and (ii) All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions.
c) The Promoter may in its absolute discretion refuse to award any prize to any entrant who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
d) All individuals completing an application to participate in the Competition must accept these Terms and Conditions and apply to participate in the Competition. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the application before entering it into the competition.
The Competition is open to everyone living at an address in England and Wales. Entrants from outside of these areas will be invalid.
The Competition starts at 09.00am on Tuesday 8 December 2020 (‘Start Date’) and closes at 11.59pm on Thursday 31 December 2020 (the ‘Closing Date’). Entries received after the closing date will be invalid.
How to Enter the Competition
1. To enter the Competition you must:
i) read and agree to these terms and conditions,
ii) complete and submit the Competition entry form on the Competition websites www.census-2021-heroes.censuseducation.org.uk and https://arwyr-cyfrifiad-2021.addysgycyfrifiad.org.uk
iii) confirm that all information included in the Competition entry complies with these Terms and Conditions.
2. You must also provide the Promoter with such other information and cooperation as the Promoter and its agents may reasonably request in relation to the Competition.
3. The Promoter will not accept responsibility for Competition entries that cannot be submitted regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
4. By submitting a Competition entry, you confirm that you have all necessary rights, together with all necessary permissions from the individuals included in the Competition entry and from the parents or guardians of all children named or shown in the Competition entry. This includes permission from the individual included in the Competition entry, that their name may be published on www.census.gov.uk if they win the competition.
5. For help with Competition entries, please contact email@example.com
CONTENT RULES FOR COMPETITION ENTRIES
6. Your Competition entry must comply with the Content Rules below. The Promoter reserves the right to require evidence of relevant permissions before awarding any prize.
THE JUDGING PROCESS
8. Entries will undergo the following judging process:
o Each valid entry will be assessed by an independent third party, M&C Saatchi (the ‘Agency’), appointed by the Promoter, using the following equally weighted criteria: a) Quality of achievements for a community b) Geographic spread across England and Wales c) Relevance to the public services informed by Census outputs.
o The Agency shall submit a shortlist of up to 5 entries for each area to the Promoter and their nominated panel of judges. This will (where possible and at the Agency’s discretion) be comprised of 5 individuals per area (i.e. 11 regions of England and Wales).
o The Promoter reserves the right to permit the Agency to shortlist fewer than 5 nominations per area (or more than 5 nominations in another area) in the absence of valid entries or entries of sufficient quality or where it deems appropriate in its absolute discretion. No more than 50 individuals will be shortlisted in total.
o The shortlisted entries will be judged by a panel of at least 4 independent judges using the same criteria as in Stage 1.
o The panel will select 22 winners.
o The decision of the panel of judges will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
The 22 winners (the ‘Winning Entrants’) will be notified of their status by phone or email using the details and contact name provided in the Competition entry, on or before the 1st March 2021 (the ‘Notification Date’).
9. Winning Entrants will be invited to agree to take part in post-competition publicity as determined by the Promoter, if required.
10. There will be 22 winners depending upon the number and quality of entries received. In each case, the prize will be awarded to the individual named in the Competition entry. 22 bespoke purple plaques which recognise the nominee’s achievements for their community.
11. Prizes will be awarded to the Winning Entrants within 30 days of the Notification Date.
12. The Winning Entrants are responsible for providing the Promoter with all necessary and relevant details required to fulfil the prizes.
13. Prizes are as stated only and cannot be deferred or transferred. There is no cash alternative. Warranty claims or other claims relating to defects in prizes should be directed to the manufacturer supplying the prize. The Promoter reserves the right (but is not obliged) to substitute a reasonably equivalent alternative prize, of equal or greater value, should circumstances make this necessary.
CLAIMING THE PRIZE
14. The Promoter reserves the right to select another winner if any Winning Entrant does not claim the relevant prize within 14 days following the Notification Date, or if the Competition entry is found to be in breach of any of these Terms and Conditions.
15. Winning Entrants shall not discuss the results of the Competition with any third party (including posts on social media) unless and until express consent is received from the Promoter.
OWNERSHIP OF COMPETITION ENTRIES AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
16. The Promoter does not claim any rights of ownership in any Competition entry.
17. You agree that the Promoter may, but is not required to, make your entry available on its website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity relating to the Competition and Programme. The Promoter reserves the right to edit any Competition entry which it believes may expose it to legal claims for intellectual property infringement prior to publication.
18. You grant the Promoter (and shall ensure that anyone else involved in the Competition entry grants to the Promoter) an exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the Competition entry and any accompanying materials, to (in all media): use, display, publish, transmit, broadcast, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format, reproduce in any advertising or promotional material and sub-license the Competition entry and any accompanying materials in order to make your entry available on its website and any other media, whether now known or invented in the future, and in connection with any publicity relating to the Competition and Programme.
19. Entries will not be returned to you.
DATA PROTECTION AND PUBLICITY
20. Please see our privacy notice available at www.census-2021-heroes.censuseducation.org.uk and https://arwyr-cyfrifiad-2021.addysgycyfrifiad.org.uk for details of how we use and share your personal information and any personal information which may be included in your Competition entry.
21. Any decision of the Promoter as to eligibility to take part in the Competition or the result of the Competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into. The Promoter reserves the right to disqualify Competition entries which are in breach of these Terms and Conditions. The Promoter reserves the right to cancel, suspend or amend the Programme or Competition or Terms and Conditions if circumstances outside of its control make it necessary to do so.
22. Individuals will be responsible for any tax liability, or any other financial or funding impact arising as a result of participation in in the Competition and/or the receipt of any prize. The Promoter shall have no liability in respect of any such liability or impact.
23. If they provide permission, the names of the winning individuals will be published on the Promoter’s www.census.gov.uk website after 1st March 2021.
24. The Promoter is the Office for National Statistics (ONS) of 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ.
25. These Terms and Conditions and any issues, disputes or claims arising out of or in connection with it (whether contractual or non-contractual in nature) shall be governed by English law, and you and we submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
All Competition entries must comply with the following rules:
• ensure that any identifiable children (age under 16) included in your entry, have the permission of a parent/guardian confirming that they agree to their child being included in the entry and to the potential uses of the entry by the Promoter in accordance with the Terms and Conditions.
• ensure that your entry does not contain anything which is inappropriate, offensive or unlawful or may damage the reputation of the nominee or any other person (as determined by the Promoter in its sole discretion);
• does not contain, facilitate, reference or use material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual or promotes any form of discrimination, including discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, political orientation, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, or age (as determined by the Promoter at the Promoter’s sole discretion); and
• does not contain any viruses, spyware, malware, or other harmful code.
Webpage Terms and Conditions
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has taken care to ensure that the information on www.census-2021-heroes.censuseducation.org.uk is correct. However, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and ONS does not accept any liability for error or omission. ONS is not responsible for how the information is used, how it is interpreted or what reliance is placed on it.
This website uses security measures to protect the material we control from loss, misuse and alteration. However, we do not accept responsibility for any alteration or manipulation of our data once it has been released on the website.
The information on this website is subject to the conditions of Crown copyright, unless otherwise indicated. Reproduction of information is subject to the terms of the Open Government Licence and the UK Government Licensing Framework.
We do not guarantee that www.census-2021-heroes.censuseducation.org.uk will be available at all times, or that the website is free from errors or viruses. If you download software or other material from this site, you do so at your own risk. We recommend that you take adequate measures to protect your own system.
This website contains links to and from other websites. The Office for National Statistics does not endorse these websites and is not responsible for their content. We cannot guarantee that these links will work or that pages we link to will be available. The terms and conditions on this website may be changed at any time without notice.